Free Special Resources
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Resources, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Overtime Primer: Highlights from the New Regulations

The federal DOL overtime regulations go into effect this year. Are you ready?

Download Now!

This report includes a summary of key changes, including the salary level test and salary basis test.

As a bonus, we've included a handy flowchart to help you determine exemption status under the FLSA.

Download Now!
December 12, 2005
Smaller Firms Account for Bulk of Job Gains

Firms with fewer than 500 employees accounted, on average, for 65 percent of quarterly net employment growth from September 1992 through March 2005, representing 13.5 million out of 20.6 million net jobs created by the total private sector, according to the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics.

For a Limited Time receive a FREE Compensation Market Analysis Report! Find out how much you should be paying to attract and retain the best applicants and employees, with customized information for your industry, location, and job. Get Your Report Now!

As of March 2005, firms with fewer than 500 employees accounted for 55.8 percent of private sector employment.

From December 2004 to March 2005, the most recent quarter for which the data are available, there were 6.3 million gross job gains and 6.0 million gross job losses by firms of all sizes, resulting in a net gain of 298,000 jobs, or 0.2 percent of total employment.

Firms with 1,000 or more employees had 1.1 million gross job gains in the first quarter, the largest gross job gains of any size class. The same size class had 981,000 gross job losses, leading to a net increase of 95,000 jobs in this size group.

In the first quarter of 2005, firms with less than 500 employees represented 60.7 percent of total net change, while firms with 500 or more employees represented the remaining 39.3 percent of net change.

Featured Special Report:
Top 100 FLSA Overtime Q&As
Twitter  Facebook  Linked In
Follow Us
Copyright © 2016 Business & Legal Resources. All rights reserved. 800-727-5257
This document was published on
Document URL: