IBM, DuPont, and Bristol-Myers Squibb Company are among the top 30 companies for executive women, according to an annual ranking by the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE).
NAFE says that while women account for less than two percent of Fortune 500 chief executives and less than ten percent of line managers, some companies are finding innovative ways of developing and advancing women--and seeing results.
NAFE says 90 percent of the companies on its list review compensation data for gender equity. Seventy percent of the companies hold managers individually accountable for helping the company meet its goals regarding women's advancement.
To compile the list, NAFE examined the number of women in the company overall, in senior management, and on its board of directors. NAFE also looked at how women fared among the company's 5 top earners.
At companies on the list, 18.7 percent of top earners are women, compared with under 6 percent in the Fortune 500, according to NAFE.
DuPont and General Mills received high marks for pay parity. Scholastic, Hewlett-Packard, Knight Ridder, and Yale New Haven Hospital were among the companies that excelled in the representation of women in top-tier positions relative to the number of women employees overall, according to NAFE. At Yale New Haven Hospital, women fill 100 percent of the top-tier positions reporting to the CEO.
The NAFE Top 30 Companies for Executive Women (in alphabetical order):
- Aetna Inc. (Hartford, CT)
- Allstate Insurance Company (Northbrook, IL)
- American Express Company (New York, NY)
- Bon Secours Richmond Health Service (Richmond, VA)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (New York, NY)
- Colgate-Palmolive Company (New York, NY)
- DuPont (Wilmington, DE)
- Federated Department Stores, Inc (Cincinnati, OH)
- Gannett Co., Inc. (McLean, VA)
- Gap Inc. (San Francisco, CA)
- General Mills (Minneapolis, MN)
- Hewlett-Packard Company (Palo Alto, CA)
- IBM Corporation (Armonk, NY)
- Inova Health System (Falls Church, VA)
- Knight Ridder (San Jose, CA)
- Liz Claiborne, Inc. (North Bergen, NJ)
- Marriott International, Inc. (Washington, DC)
- Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, NJ)
- MetLife, Inc. (Long Island City, NY)
- New York Life Insurance Company (New York, NY)
- Principal Financial Group (Des Moines, IA)
- Sallie Mae (Reston, VA)
- Scholastic (New York, NY)
- Texas Instruments Incorporated (Dallas, TX)
- The New York Times Company (New York, NY)
- The Phoenix Companies, Inc. (Hartford, CT)
- The Procter & Gamble Company (Cincinnati, OH)
- WellPoint, Inc (Indianapolis, IN)
- Xerox Corporation (Stamford, CT)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital (New Haven, CT)