In a BLR webinar presentation entitled ‘Payroll: How to Legally Handle Tax Levies and Garnishments’, Attorneys Clint Robison and Amy Jensen discussed tax levies and wage garnishments and how HR professionals handle these types of deductions. Main discussion points include:
- Differences between a tax levy and a garnishment
- Your obligations as an employer once you receive notification of a tax levy or garnishment
- How to calculate the appropriate withholding and addressing with multiple garnishments
- Privacy considerations, and conduct which may give rise to liability against the company
- Penalties which may be assessed for the improper handling of levies or garnishments
Clint Robinson and Amy Jensen are lawyers with Hinshaw & Culbertson, one of the largest and oldest law firms in the country. Clint Robison is a highly regarded employment attorney providing counseling and litigation services to public and private companies. He is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles Office. Clint Robinson can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amy Jensen is a senior employment attorney in the Hinshaw & Culbertson Los Angeles Office, who provides counseling and litigation services to a variety of companies, including restaurant, retail, manufacturing, and financial companies. Amy Jensen can be reached at email@example.com. More information about the law firm can be located at www.hinshawlaw.com.