Maria Anastas discusses independent contractor management in a BLR webinar entitled ‘Employee versus Independent Contractor: Where’s the Line? How to Make the Proper Call and Stay Out of Court’. She provides the following information regarding how organizations can manage independent contractors:
- ‘Over-communicate’ with your independent contractors to avoid surprises. This enables a clear understanding from both parties regarding the nature of the relationship. Expectations and each party’s view of the relationship should be understood. There can be situations where one party could still display or voice other expectations that were not previously communicated. This can occur during conflicts or litigations
- Be ready to give your independent contractors almost total autonomy (within the scope of their contracts). The independent contractors should have the freedom to do their jobs properly
- Establish your job expectations and performance standards very clearly
- Resist the temptation to micromanage
- Require frequent deliveries of work products
Maria Anastas is a partner in the San Francisco office of law firm Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, PC ( www.ogletreedeakins.com ). She represents employers in labor and employment law matters exclusively, with a primary emphasis on traditional labor matters. She also devotes a substantial portion of her practice to providing employers with practical advice on a wide variety of employment law issues. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.