David Wudyka discusses sales competencies in a BLR webinar entitled ‘Commission Pay Plans: How to Motivate Your Sales Staff in a Roller Coaster Economy’. While discussing Commission Pay Plans (CPPs), David Wudyka describes issues related to the top competencies for an organization’s sales force:
- Top competencies for sales forces within an organization can vary
- People who are successful selling have great inter-personal skills
- Usually, when people buy a product or service, it is more of a reflection of the sales person’s effectiveness in selling the product or service. This also has more emphasis when people buy products or services that they would not normally buy but then decide to buy the product or service based on the input of the sales agent
- Communication skills are very important
- The pharmaceutical industry is an example of an industry that excels at using competency-based thinking in the selection and training of pharmaceutical sales representatives
David Wudyka, SPHR, MBA, BSIE, is the founder and managing principal of Westminster Associates (www.westminsterassociates.com), a Massachusetts-based human resource and compensation firm that specializes in pay, performance, and productivity issues. He speaks and writes frequently on HR and compensation issues, and he earned his master’s degree from Syracuse University.