In a BLR webinar entitled "Sales Compensation Strategies: How to Motivate and Re-Energize Your Sales Staff in a Challenging Economy," Dan Kleinman, principal of Dan Kleinman Consulting, a compensation and human resource consulting firm, explained that companies that do well in the long term have an overall objective: "alignment." Companies with alignment demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Vision for the future
- Objectives that need to be accomplished in the short term as well as the long term
- Sales force profile, i.e., knowing the right fit between the people and the sales force
- Performance metrics
- Appropriate compensation, i.e., reward for result
To accomplish alignment, look back before looking ahead.
- Take inventory of your situation.
- Address misalignments.
- Ensure trust exists between sales staff and management.
Dan Kleinman is the principal of Dan Kleinman Consulting, a California-based compensation and human resource consulting firm. For the past 18 years, he has served as an independent consultant for a broad spectrum of regional, national, and international companies, providing compensation, performance, organizational planning, and reward-system design services. He may be reached at email@example.com