In a BLR webinar entitled "Compensation Plan Design: The Three Cs for Achieving Success," Brooke Green, founding principal with Presidio Pay Advisors and Mary Topliff, Esq., founder of Mary L. Topliff law offices in San Francisco described some immediate steps a company can take prior to performing a Compensation Analysis and/or Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Analysis.
First, it's important to manage immediate risks:
- If you think jobs are misclassified, it's better to be safe than sorry
- Limit overtime for "gray area" positions until you know for sure
- Evaluate compensation for top talent or "flight risks"
If you haven't the time or manpower to begin a full analysis, you can begin the process internally via Human Resources:
- Verify what people are doing in their jobs
- Ask managers to complete job questionnaires
- Interview managers to confirm an understanding of jobs
- Participate in competitive pay surveys
Brooke Green is a founding principal with Presidio Pay Advisors (www.presidiopay.com) where she provides consulting advice and implementation assistance to clients with compensation support needs. Mary Topliff, Esq. founded the law offices of Mary L. Topliff in San Francisco (www.joblaw.com) after practicing civil and employment litigation for nine years. The firm specializes in employment law counseling, training and compliance.