David Wudyka discusses eight key steps for revitalizing Commission Pay Plans (CPP) in a BLR webinar entitled ‘Commission Pay Plans: How to Motivate Your Sales Staff in a Roller Coaster Economy’. He provides the following list of eight key steps to revitalizing an organization’s CPP structure:
- Step 1: Reviewing and benchmarking your base pay levels and commission percentages
- Step 2: Focusing on teams, not individuals
- Step 3: De-clogging your sales admin processes
- Step 4: Upholding high standards for your sales personnel (despite the recession)
- Step 5: Refusing to use your sales force as a scapegoat for management snafus
- Step 6: Using profitability measures to maximize your sales results
- Step 7: Doubling down on incentives, contests, and recognition programs
- Step 8: Timing commission payments for the best impact within your organization
Some of the steps for revitalizing CPP structures are easier said than done. However, analyzing each of the eight steps and being determined to revitalize the associated plans can generate productive results for any organization.
David Wudyka, SPHR, MBA, BSIE, is the founder and managing principal of Westminster Associates (www.westminsterassociates.com), a Massachusetts-based human resource and compensation firm that specializes in pay, performance, and productivity issues. He speaks and writes frequently on HR and compensation issues, and he earned his master’s degree from Syracuse University.