The National Business Group on Health, an organization of 266 large employers, has presented its Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles award to 41 companies.
The group's Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles awards, now in their third year, recognize companies for their efforts to enourage workers to live healthier lifestyles.
"Wellness and lifestyle improvement programs are rapidly becoming a top priority at many large employers, and with good reason," says Helen Darling, president of the Business Group. "Employers are recognizing that there is a direct link between healthy and engaged workers, high productivity, and controlling rising health costs."
The group says that this year's award winners offer a wide variety of wellness programs, including onsite fitness and health clinics, weight-management programs, smoking cessation programs, health coaches, web-based health and fitness tools, and incentives for participating in fitness programs and health risk assessments.
The group recognized companies in one of three categories:
- Platinum, for established "Healthy Weight, Healthy Lifestyles" programs with measurable success and documented outcomes;
- Gold, for creating cultural and environmental changes that support employees who are committed to long-term behavior changes; and
- Silver, for employers who have launched programs or services to promote living a healthier lifestyle.
The winners in each category follow. You can find a short description of the companies' wellness programs here.
- Baptist Health South Florida
- Dell, Inc.
- FPL Group
- Hannaford Brothers Company
- Kellogg Company
- Motorola, Inc.
- Pitney Bowes, Inc.
- Principal Financial Group
- Texas Instruments Incorporated
- Union Pacific Railroad
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals
- Bath Iron Works, A General Dynamics Company
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Inc.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Campbell Soup Company
- General Mills, Inc.
- Gilsbar, Inc.
- Intel Corporation
- Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
- Medtronic, Inc.
- Northeast Utilities
- Pepsi Bottling Group
- Quest Diagnostics
- Volvo Group (including Mack Trucks, Inc.)
- EMC Corporation
- Fiserv, Inc.
- JC Penney Corporation, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- PRO Sports Club
- Sprint Nextel Corporation
- Target Corporation
- Verizon Wireless
- Visant Corporation
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.