In a 2010 BLR webinar, “Solving PTO Problems: How to Reduce Unscheduled Absences Without Alienating Employees or Violating the Law,” attorney Catherine Moreton Gray listed significant laws to keep in mind when putting any paid time off policy in place:
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), and state wage and hour laws
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), including the latest amendments that went into effect on Jan. 16, 2009
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- State workers' compensation laws
- State family and medical leave laws
- State laws on payment of wages at termination of employment
Catherine Moreton Gray is an associate attorney in the Labor and Employment section of Robinson & Cole LLP in Hartford, Conn. She has more than 20 years of experience in human resources and employment law. Contact her at email@example.com.